Ramrod excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 15 1/4 x 5/8 in. ( 38.7 x 1.6 cm )
Iron ramrod; cylindrical rod with flat, circular head.
This ramrod was excavated inside Fort Washington by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The ramrod could have belonged to an American, British, or Hessian soldier.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.