overall: 12 1/4 x 7 1/4 x 1 in.
handwritten in ink: on paper collector's label affixed to reverse: "2723 / French" painted in red: on one short side: "23"
Rectangular wooden printing block (probably for textiles) with pattern carved in relief; S-shaped swag with scalloped edges, bow at center, and flowers surrounding it; surface area of swag with all over arrangement of metal spikes; indentations carved on two edges of reverse to facilitate gripping by hand.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.