Watercolor, graphite, brown ink, black ink and wash, and touches of gouache with selective glazing on paper
Overall: 12 x 13 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 34.3 cm )
inscriptions: Signed bottom left: Rufus A. Grider / Canajoharie N.Y. June 28th 1889
Signed and inscribed at lower left below powder horn in brown ink: "Rufus A Grider / Canajoharie N.Y. June 28th. 1889."; inscribed below vignette in brown ink: "SITE of SHIKELLIMY'S town A.D. 1737. / Situate on the West Side of the WEST BRANCH of the / SUSQUEHANNA RIVER at SHAMOKIN near / SUNBURY Penna. the large building on the right / is a Mill n Shamokin Creek"; at lower right in brown wash: "The PALITAR CROOKER / pos'd by the Mass. Hist. Society / at BOSTON", followed by a brief history of
Shikellimys town 1737. Susquehannah Pa. Military.
Gift of Isaac J. Greenwood
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.