Powder Horn: The John Stevens (FW-14), with Carving Unfurled and Vignettes of Two Log Houses in York, Maine
Watercolor, graphite, brown ink and wash, gouache, and green and gold metallic pigments with selective glazing on beige paper
Overall: 10 3/4 x 14 1/2 in. ( 27.3 x 36.8 cm )
inscriptions: Inscribed in graphite lower left: July 24th 1889.
Inscribed in graphite at lower left below powder horn: "July 24th 1889."; at upper right below upper cabin in black ink over graphite: "The JENKINS / LOG HOUSE / built A.D. / 1645 at / YORK Maine."; at middle right: "The JOHN STEVENS."; at lower right below lower cabin: "The Mc INT LOG HOUSES / built A.D. 1650 at YORK Maine used for a / Garrison & for Refugees to flee to."; at lower left: a brief history of the horn
Military. Ancient Colonial Houses
Gift of Isaac J. Greenwood
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.