Powder Horn: Captain John Hale (R-90), with Vignettes of a Portrait of Count Casimir Pulaski, the Pulaski Banner, and a Print of the Moravian Sisters Embroidering the Banner
Watercolor, gouache, brown ink and wash, collage, and gold, silver, copper, and green metallic pigment with selective glazing on beige paper
Overall: 13 x 14 7/8 in. ( 33 x 37.8 cm )
inscriptions: Signed lower center: Rufus A. Grider of Canajoharie N.Y. Sept. 10, 1891
Signed and inscribed at center below horn in brown ink: "Rufus A. Grider of Canajoharie N.Y. Sept. 10 1891."; inscribed at upper right: "The / Capt. JOHN HALE..."; at lower right: "In the spring of 1778...", followed by an extensive history of Moravian contributions to the Revolution ; at center below banners: "The PULASKI BANNER..."; at lower left below laid on photographic print: "EMBROIDERING the PULASKI BANNER by / the MORAVIAN SINGLE SISTERS."
Gift of Isaac J. Greenwood
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.