Pocket communion set
Part (Communion cup): 2 3/4 x 3 7/8 in. (7 x 9.8 cm) Part (paten): 1/4 x 3 x 4 3/8 in. (0.6 x 7.6 x 11.1 cm) Part (pit
engraved: front centers: the arms of the Clarkson family, shield with a silver bend engraved with three rings, surmounted by an armor helmet and a dragon's head, surrounded by foliate scrolls and draped at the bottom with a banner that reads, "DEO FIDENDO
Wrought silver portable communion set including a Communion cup/ beaker, paten and pitcher center of each piece engraved with the arms of the Clarkson family, shield with a silver bend engraved with three rings, surmounted by an armor helmet and a dragon's head, surrounded by foliate scrolls and draped at the bottom with a banner that reads, "DEO FIDENDUM" in roman letters; below the arms in gothic script, "A. V. C." over, "JUNE 1854" in roman letters; makers' marks on the bases.
This pocket communion set belonged to Augustus Vallette Clarkson (1829-1907), the long-time rector of St. Augustine's Church in Croton-on-Hudson, New York, which he founded in 1853. Much beloved by parishioners, Clarkson actively served the church's community but never drew a salary. According to the parish's history, he was remembered as a peripatetic minister who was always "being driven to call on the sick and elderly" confined to their homes, when he would have used this small, portable set, consisting of a miniature paten, chalice, and flagon for the symbolic bread and wine of the Eucharist. Clarkson was ordained as a priest by the New York Diocese on July 2, 1854, and it is possible that this set was given to him in anticipation of that event.
Gift of M. F. Savage
Augustus Vallette Clarkson (1829-1907); to Moses Frederick Savage (1851-1934), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.