Platter: New Haven, Connecticut
Overall: 1 1/4 x 11 x 9 1/8 in. ( 3.2 x 27.9 x 23.2 cm )
printed: on reverse: "NEW HAVEN/CONNECTICUT/ (on swag) JACKSONS WARRANTED"; in black : "5"
Glazed earthenware molded oval plate with irregularly scalloped edge; printed in dark brown with central image of church near classical building with five figures in front; floral border.
According to the donor, the drawing was done by A.J. Davis. It was engraved and printed by Fenner, Sears & Co. and published on September 1, 1830. "The State House at right was erected in 1889. At the left stands Center Church. Both buildings were designed by Ithiel Town, business partner of the artist Davis. The view is rarely found on China."
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.