Overall: 1 3/4 x 17 x 12 3/4 in. ( 4.4 x 43.2 x 32.4 cm )
transfer-printed: in blue on underside of platter: "BEAUTIES OF AMERICA/ALMS HOUSE/NEW YORK/J & W RIDGWAY" printed: on adhesive label on underside of platter: "222" [collector's label] written: on jelly label on underside of platter: "L243.5" [collector
Molded octagonal pearlware platter with blue transfer print of New York almshouse; border with twelve reserves each with one flower; central image of New York almshouse surrounded by fence; trees and shrubbery in foreground.
New York's third almshouse, opened in 1816, was located on First Avenue where Bellevue Hospital stands today. This platter forms part of the "Beauties of America" series by John & William Ridgway of public buildings in America.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.