Plateau

Object Number: 
1915.27o-q
Date: 
ca. 1790
Medium: 
Sheffield plate, glass, wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 x 43 3/8 x 20 1/4 in. ( 7.6 x 110.2 x 51.4 cm )
Description: 
Cast and seamed three part Sheffield plate, galleried plateau; two semi-circular sections on each end and a rectangular central section; flat trays with wooden bases set with mirrored glass; mirrors and wood set into set into plate frames with vertical galleried sides with a feathered band applied around the bottom (semi-circular trays only have sides around the curved ends); each section set on four sets of cast, semi-circular legs with ball feet; center tray has for single legs, ends have two single legs in the corners and two pairs of legs at the ends; when the trays are lined up they form eight arched legs; above each leg, applied to the sides are rectangles with molded acanthus leaves and bunches of wheat; no maker's marks.
Gallery Label: 
This plateau was paried with an epergne (1915.27a-n), a graceful multi-tiered stand holding five or more dishes, which functioned as a sculptural centerpiece for the dining table and as a practical holder for pickles, relishes, sauces, or dessert confections. Epergnes were occasionally paired with a mirrored plateau, a table adornment that gave extra sparkle to the silver, porcelain, and delicacies displayed on its surface. According to family tradition, this epergne and plateau, though not an intended pair, were used together on the dining table of Philip Schuyler (1733-1804) and his wife Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803). Both the epergne and plateau were rare forms in eighteenth-century America, found only in the homes of the fashion-conscious elite.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Louisa Lee Schuyler, 1922
Provenance: 
Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), who married Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803); probably to their son Philip Jeremiah (1768-1835), who married (2nd) Mary Anna Sawyer (1781-1852); to their son George Lee Schuyler (1811-1890), who married Eliza Hamilton (1811-1863); to their son Philip Schuyler (1836-1906), the donor. Plateau donated by his sister, Louisa Lee Schuyler (1837-1926).
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group