Plate

Object Number: 
1947.111d
Date: 
1780-1800
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
(a) platter: 1 7/8 x 24 3/8 x 18 3/4 in.; (c-n) plates: 3/4 x 9 3/4 in.
Description: 
One of a set of thirteen circular molded creamware plates with grape vine border hand painted in shades of brown overglaze and banded on either side with a brown stripe; at center, monogram inside a laurel wreath, also in brown overglaze.
Gallery Label: 
According to donor, this platter is one of a set of dinnerware including two platters and thirteen plates ordered from England by William Hill (1751-1826), the great-grandfather of the donor. Hill emigrated from Londonderry, May 20, 1773, and arrived in New York City in July. He established himself as a New York City merchant who lived for a time at 199 Front Street, and later, on Courtlandt Street; his firm, William Hill & Co., was variously located at 201 Water Street, 21 Wall Street, Maiden Lane, and Broadway. He was prominent in commercial and charitable life during the Revolution and in the period immediately thereafter; was Trustee of the New York Hospital and one of the earliest shareholders of the New York Society Library. He was treasurer of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Society from 1797 to 1804, having been a member since 1784. He also served as a vestryman for Trinity Church from 1812 to 1818.
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Robert Carmer Hill, through Mrs. R. C. Hill
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group