Plate (3) excavated at a Colonial mansion
Overall: 7/8 x 9 3/8 in. ( 2.2 x 23.8 cm )
Earthenware plate; creamware ("Queensware"); half of plate.
This plate was found by Reginald P. Bolton and others at the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue in Harlem Heights, Manhattan. The mansion was built in 1765 for English Colonel Roger Morris, and was used as a headquarters by George Washington and by British authorities during the Revolutionary War. The mansion became a tavern after the war.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.