Overall: 1 x 9 in. ( 2.5 x 22.9 cm )
painted: on well of plate beneath portraits: "FSW - PVOR"
Tin-glazed earthenware plate with polychrome decoration; rim decoration with broad outline of yellow, with brown dashes and red and green dots; well outlined with double line of cobalt blue; center of well has painted representation of William of Orange and his wife, Mary, facing each other, with flowering stalk between them; underneath the portrait is inscribed "FSW - PVOR".
This plate was used in the Beekman Mansion, built by James Beekman in 1763 near 51st Street and the East River. It was donated by a descendent of the Beekman family.
Gift of Mrs. Arthur T. Sutcliffe
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.