Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Plate (17) excavated at a Revolutionary War site

Object Number: 
1947.532a-q
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Porcelain
Description: 
Porcelain plate; octagon rim; underglazed blue floral design with bird; dark yellow at cavetto.
Gallery Label: 
This plate was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military site in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The plate may have been owned by a soldier, by a member of a soldier's family, or by a camp follower.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group