Plate (14) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 1 3/4 x 9 1/2 in. ( 4.4 x 24.1 cm )
Stoneware plate; gray salt-glazed with basket, diaper, and scrolled design on brim.
This plate was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp on the Dyckman farm, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The plate may have been owned by a soldier, by a member of a soldier's family, or by a camp follower.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.