Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Plate (12)

Object Number: 
1947.538a-l
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
White salt-glazed stoneware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7/8 x 9 1/2 in. ( 2.2 x 24.1 cm )
Description: 
Stoneware plate; white salt-glazed with basket, diaper, and scrolled design on brim; six rim-to-base fragments, three rim fragments, and three base fragments.
Gallery Label: 
This plate was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp between 192nd and Arden Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The plate was owned by a soldier, a member of a soldier's family, or by a camp follower.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group