Overall: 9 1/2 x 13 x 1/4 in. ( 24.1 x 33 x 0.6 cm )
Transfer-printed lead-glazed earthenware (pearlware) plaque or slab; rectangular plaque with black transfer-print of view of the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. looking up Pennsylvania Avenue on obverse, with pink transfer-print of Fort Hamilton and the Narrows, New York, on reverse.
The views of the Capitol and Fort Hamilton are taken from drawings by W.H. Bartlett, which were published in London in 1837 and 1838. Staffordshire potters Thomas Goodwin (active 1829-1843) and William Ridgway are known to have used these prints on ceramics.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.