Overall: 13 x 7 x 9 7/8 in. ( 33 x 17.8 x 25.1 cm ) Silver Weight: 40 oz (troy) 19 dwt (1274 g)
engraved: center front: "Presented by/ The Board of Directors/ of the Seventh Ward Bank/ To their late President/ the Hon. John W. Lawrence/ 1854" in script stamped: on the base: "WOOD & HUGHES" in roman letters
Wrought silver presentation pitcher; pear-shaped body on a circular molded foot; body has all over repoussé chased flowers and lily-pad-like leaves; neck flares to a scalloped rim and pouring lip in the shape of the leaves; cast, s-curve, vine handle with leaf joints; engraved on the center front, "Presented by/ The Board of Directors/ of the Seventh Ward Bank/ To their late President/ the Hon. John W. Lawrence/ 1854" in script; maker's mark on the base.
On June 13, 1854, the board of directors of the Seventh Ward Bank elected a new president after its leader of seven years, John W. Lawrence (1800-1888), declined reelection. The board unanimously resolved to thank Lawrence "for his faithful and efficient services" as president and presented him with this pitcher as a token of its esteem. The Lawrence pitcher is noteworthy for a high degree of naturalistic detail in both form and decoration. The large-scale naturalistic ornament breaks free of the surface, and waterlily leaves form the vessel's lip and spout. The pitcher's handle is shaped as a branch, wrapped with the tendrils of a lily plant. All of the ornament, which is derived entirely from aquatic plant life, emanates from the foot of the pitcher and "grows" upward toward the opening. The use of plants that thrive in a watery habitat may have alluded to the fresh water the pitcher was intended to hold.
Gift of Townsend Lawrence
John Watson Lawrence (1800-1888), who married Mary King Bowne (1808-1874); to their son Walter B. Lawrence (1834-1912), who married Anna Townsend (1852-1902); to their son Townsend Lawrence (1871-1951), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.