Overall: 6 x 6 x 4 in. ( 15.2 x 15.2 x 10.2 cm )
Olive-amber blown non-lead glass pitcher with "lily-pad" decoration; spherical body with tall cylindrical neck with flared and tooled rim pulled out to form spout, second gather of glass tooled up into five peaks, applied handle with curled end, and applied disc foot with pincered edges and blow pipe mark on underside.
Lily-pad decoration was introduced to America by German glassworkers. It became popular in New England, New York, and New Jersey in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Similar olive-amber pitchers were made in Stoddard, New Hampshire. This object was possibly made by the same maker of 1952.159.
Bequest of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.