Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Pistol balls (7) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.155-161
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
largest: 3/8 in. ( 1 cm )
Description: 
Lead pistol balls.
Gallery Label: 
These pistol balls were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The pistol was owned by a British, Hessian, or Loyalist officer, or by a soldier in the 42nd, 71st, 74th, or 76th Highland Regiments.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group