Celluloid, metal, paper
1/4 x 2 1/4 in. diameter
An ivory colored pinback button printed in red "U.S.W.P.A/ 183". From the Works Progress Administration, brought into being on May 6, 1935, the Federal Government¿s most ambitious undertaking yet to provide employment for the jobless. Except for local grants, unemployed office workers, teachers and professors, artists, performers, and musicians were largely ignored, with the exception of the CWA's Public Works of Art Project. It gave work to over 3,600 artists in the 48 states to create murals and sculptures for public buildings but ended in 1934 when the CWA was terminated, but it set the stage for the later establishment of the WPA¿s art, music, theater, and writers¿ projects. The Works Progress Administration of 1935 continued the work of building and improving a wide variety of public facilities. It differed, however, from the previous programs by also addressing the employment needs of non-construction workers. For example, it assisted communities in expanding educational, library, health, and related community projects. Professional and white collar workers, on the other hand, found employment with ¿Federal One.¿ Federal Project No. 1 of the Works Progress Administration was developed to give artistic and professional work to the unemployed who qualified. It consisted of the Federal Art Project (FAP), Federal Music Project (FMP), Federal Theatre Project (FTP), the Federal Writers¿ Project (FWP), and the Historical Records Survey (HRS).
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.