Pike or lance blade
Overall: 17 3/8 x 1 7/8 in. ( 44.1 x 4.8 cm )
Iron pike or lance blade; diamond-shaped blade in cross-section with tapered, rectangular spike for hilt.
This blade was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at Fort Washington Avenue and 181st Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan. The blade was probably made by a British or Hessian soldier who was part of the garrison that occupied Manhattan from after the American surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776 until evacuation in 1783. The blade may have been hammered from scrap iron, and the hilt was made using a spike.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.