Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Piece of wood: "7" placque

Object Number: 
1933.249g
Date: 
ca. 1813 or 1913
Medium: 
Wood, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 3/4 x 22 1/4 x 9 in. ( 4.4 x 56.5 x 22.9 cm )
Marks: 
engraved: on plaque: "7"
Description: 
Section of oak plank pierced with two wooden pegs; metal hooks and wire in back for mounting on wall; plaque with "7" inscribed affixed to front.
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this plank was given to the donor by his friend, Captain William L. Morrison of Erie Pennsylvania, who was in charge of the raising of the Niagara from the bottom of Lake Erie and reconstructing her in 1913 for the Perry Centennial celebration. A letter with the accession record, however, states that the object is a reproduction.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Richard C. McKay
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group