Piece of iron from the "Monitor"
Iron, wood, glass, paper
Overall: 10 5/8 x 6 5/8 x 1 3/8 in. ( 27 x 16.8 x 3.5 cm )
handwritten in ink: on paper affixed to surface of iron: "Fragment of the / Port Shutter of the / Original Monitor" handwritten in ink: on paper affixed below relic: "After the engagement between / the "Monitor" & "Merrimac", the port / shutter of the "M
Square piece of iron from the port shutter of the naval vessel U.S.S. "Monitor"; mounted in wooden frame with handwritten inscriptions.
The U.S.S. Monitor was designed by Capt. John Ericsson and built at Greenpoint, Brooklyn in 1862. It was the first ironclad naval vessel with a revolving gun turret and became renowned when it forced the retreat of the confederate ironclad vessel "Merrimac" and revolutionized marine warfare. The donor, Mrs. Francis Rogers (née Cornelia Barnes), was the daughter of Captain John S. Barnes.
Gift of Mrs. Francis Rogers
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.