Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Pewter bell excavated in New York City

Object Number: 
INV.6229.28
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5/8 x 3/4 in. ( 1.6 x 1.9 cm )
Description: 
Pewter object; small, hollow, and dome-shaped; ribbed lines and looped fastener on top of bell.
Gallery Label: 
This bell was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group