Pearlware fragment excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 1/4 x 1 3/8 in. ( 0.6 x 3.5 cm )
Pearlware fragment; brim fragment; underglazed blue transfer printed floral design.
This fragment was excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit in a moat outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.