Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Park Row and St. Paul's Chapel, New York City

Object Number: 
1953.63
Date: 
1798
Medium: 
Watercolor, brown and black ink, selective glazing, and graphite on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 16 7/8 x 23 7/8 in. ( 42.9 x 60.6 cm ) mat: 22 x 27 7/8 in. ( 55.9 x 70.8 cm )
Marks: 
signature and date: lower right: "C. Milbourne 1798"
Inscriptions: 
Signed and inscribed in black ink at lower right: "C. Milbourne. 1798."
Gallery Label: 
This is a view looking south on Park Row, showing St. Paul's Chapel, erected in 1764-66, located on the west side of Broadway between Fulton and Vesey streets. At the left is the Park Theatre, erected in 1795-98, on the east side of Park Row, which opened in January 1798 under lease to William Dunlap and John Hodgkinson. This building was destroyed by fire on May 25, 1820, but was immediately rebuilt. The fence at the right borders what was the New York Commons, and now City Hall Park.
Credit Line: 
Purchase, Abbott, Belknap, Durr, and Foster-Jarvis Funds
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group