Panel of tiles (28)
overall: 21 x 36 x 1 1/8 in.
Panel of twenty-eight tin-glazed earthenware tiles with blue and white decoration; with Old Testament and New Testament scenes in rondels, including figures representing Adam and Eve, Jacob, Jonah, Moses, Christ, St. Peter, and Mary Magdalene; plaster backing.
This panel of tiles is from the front parlor fireplace of the Beekman mansion at First Avenue and 51st Street, built by James Beekman in 1763. The mansion was torn down in 1874, and the chimney breast and tiles were presented to the Historical Society that same year by James William Beekman.
Gift of James W. Beekman, 1874
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.