Pair of pitchers
each overall: 10 1/2 x 6 5/8 x 9 in. ( 26.7 x 16.8 x 22.9 cm )
engraved: front centers: "C" in bright-cut script stamped: on the bases: in an oval, "BAILEY & Co/ CHESTNUT ST PHILA" around, "133" all over an eagle in a square, "U" in an oval and a "U.S. shield
Pair of wrought silver pitchers; pear-shaped bodies with high narrow necks flared to high, pouring lips; seated on molded circular feet; die-rolled Greek-key bands and beadeds band are applied around the rims; beaded bands and convex footrings are repoussé chased with flowers and leaves and applied around the feet; repoussé chased floral and leaf garlands around the lower bodies and below the rims; "C" in bright-cut script on the front centers of the bodies; cast and chased handles in the form of a tree branches, covered with vines and leaves; makers' marks stamped on the bases.
This pair of pitchers belonged to the donor's grandfather, Henry Chauncey (1795-1863), a merchant from New York. He was a leader in the construction of the Panama Railroad in 1851. There is a monument to him, for his work on this project at Colon, Panama Canal Zone.
Gift of Henry Chauncey Cryder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.