Pair of doll shoes
Coated cloth, cotton
overall:: 1 1/2 x 7/8 x 3 in. ( 3.8 x 2.2 x 7.6 cm )
Black rubberized fabric overshoes with small heel; lined in cotton. (Possibly not for this doll; foot size much larger.)
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.