Pair of doll shoes
overall:: 1 1/8 x 7/8 x 2 3/8 in. ( 2.9 x 2.2 x 6 cm )
Blue leather doll shoes with blue silk rosette and brown leather Louis heel; lined with leather sole and cotton at sides, banded inside with blue silk.
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.