Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Ox shoe excavated at Fort Ticonderoga

Object Number: 
INV.5778.8
Date: 
1750-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 x 2 x 1/4 in. ( 12.7 x 5.1 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Iron ox shoe excavated at Fort Ticonderoga.
Gallery Label: 
This ox shoe was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group