One of a pair of semi-circular tables
Mahogany; mahogany and other veneers, poplar, oak
Overall: 28 3/4 x 60 x 29 1/2 in. ( 73 x 152.4 x 74.9 cm )
engraved: brass palque on front rail; "TABLE/ Used by Federal Congress/ 1789/ Federal Hall/ Corner of Wall and Nassau Street"
Federal mahogany half-round table used in Federal Hall; solid mahogany top screwed to the frame rails from the inside; frame consists of a solid straight back rail, a medial brace, and a curved front rail composed of five horizontal laminates and veeered; four tapered legs, front legs joined saddle-fashion to rail and rear legs probably mortise-and-tenoned into rails, corner blocks glued and nailed into rear corners; plain inlay consisting of tri-partite banding with wider dark band between two narrow light bands on lower edge of front rail; four tenons on rear edge of top; brass plaque with inscription on front rail; legs broken off and repaired, patch on top.
This table (and a mate, 1837.5) is among the surviving furnishings from Federal Hall, the home of the first United States Congress located at the corner of Wall and Broad Streets. Federal Hall was remodeled for that purpose in 1788 by the French-born architect and engineer Pierre L'Enfant, who may have influenced the design of the furniture created for the government officials. The original furnishings, used by Congress for less than a year, were still stored in the building when the New-York Historical Society was headquartered there in 1809. Founder John Pintard petitioned the Common Council for use of six semi-circular tables, and they agreed. In 1837, the city donated two of the tables, two pedestal desks, two desks used by members of Congress, and four armchairs to the Historical Society.
Gift of the Corporation of the City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.