Old Tom's, New York City

Object Number: 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper
Overall: 10 x 11 in. ( 25.4 x 27.9 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower center: "Old Tom's/cor: Thames & Temple St's/1800
Inscribed below image in black ink: "OLD TOM'S / COR: THAMES & TEMPLE ST'S / 1800."
Gallery Label: 
Old Tom's, a celebrated New York ale house dating back to about 1800, was formerly located at 7 Thames Street between broadway and Trinity Place. At some later date in the nineteenth century a rival establishment using the same name was established nearby which was maintained by the widow of a former proprietor and was sometimes called Mrs. Old Tom's. The original building, however, was located one building to the west of Temple Street, and not on the corner (as Hosier depicts it).
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Susie Cruikshank Snyder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group