Old Swedes Church [Holy Trinity Church], Wilmington, Delaware
Gouache, black ink and wash, and graphite on heavy board with a beige prepared surface
Overall: 14 7/8 x 11 1/4 in. (37.8 x 28.6 cm)
Signed at lower left
Signed at lower left in black wash: W. L. HUDSON.; typed at lower center outside framing line on attached etiquette, in green: Old Sweeds [sic] Church / Wilmington Delaware; verso inscribed in graphite with various publication annotations; artist's stamp at lower left in black ink, inverted, diagonally: W.L. HUDSON / Studio, / 70 Fifth Ave., N.Y.
Grisaille view of Holy Trinity Church, also known as Old Swedes Church, in Wilmington, Delaware at East 7th and Church Streets. It was built in 1698-99 from local blue granite and Swedish bricks that had been used as ballast, on the site of Fort Christina's old burial ground, which dates to 1638. It's claimed that it is the "the nation's oldest church building still standing as originally built," and that there were over 15,000 burials in the churchyard. Lutheran services were delivered in Swedish well into the 18th century. It has housed an Episcopal parish since 1791and is now part of the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware. Old Swedes Church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.