Graphite on beige lightweight Bristol Board
Overall: 12 x 15 1/8 in. (30.5 x 38.4 cm)
Signed and dated at lower right in graphite: "JAB 1844"; inscribed: "Swedish Church erected 1684/ at Wilmington Del."
View of Holy Trinity Church, also known as Old Swedes Church, in Wilmington, Delaware at East 7th and Church Streets. It was built in 1698-99 from local blue granite and Swedish bricks that had been used as ballast, on the site of Fort Christina's old burial ground, which dates to 1638. It's claimed that it is the "the nation's oldest church building still standing as originally built," and that there were over 15,000 burials in the churchyard. Lutheran services were delivered in Swedish well into the 18th century. It has housed an Episcopal parish since 1791and is now part of the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware. Old Swedes Church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.