Vaccination Policy

All visitors ages 12 and older must show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Visitors ages 5–11 must show proof of one dose. Read more >

The Old Hill Studio, West Nyack, N.Y.

Object Number: 
1956.158
Date: 
ca. 1870
Medium: 
Watercolor and a touch of gouache over graphite on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 12 x 19 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 49.5 cm )
Marks: 
Verso inscribed vertically along right edge: "The Old Hill Studio."
Inscriptions: 
Verso inscribed vertically along right edge: "The Old Hill Studio."
Description: 
Landscape
Gallery Label: 
This building was erected by John William Hill (q.v.) at what was then Clarksville, now West Nyack, New York, It was used by him as a studio and also by his son, John Henry Hill. A photograph of the building, ca. 1895, after remodeling by John Henry Hill, was presented to the Society by the same donor. The building is still standing.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Adirondack Museum
Provenance: 
Charles M. Hill, nephew of the artist; Harold Hochshild, N.Y.C.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group