Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Oil lamp

Object Number: 
1965.916c
Date: 
1835-1840
Medium: 
Glass, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 12 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 8.9 x 8.9 cm )
Description: 
Colorless lead glass oil lamp with blown font and pressed base; cylindrical font with pewter threaded collar joined by annular wafer to inverted baluster joined by annular wafer to base consisting of a short lobed column on plinth of three circular steps on square base with projecting circular corners; font decorated with unpolished stone wheel engraving of a meandering chain of circles and four stylized leaf sprays; tin or pewter collar with splayed double wick holder for burning fluid with covers on chains.
Gallery Label: 
The engraved decoration closely parallels that on a lamp and a compote at the Toledo Museum ("American Glass" Cat. Nos. 408 and 199). The compote has been tentatively attributed to Boston and Sandwich Glass Works.
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Mrs. F. MacDonald Sinclair (Jennie H. Sinclair)
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group