Overall: 2 3/4 x 1 3/8 x 3/4 in. ( 7 x 3.5 x 1.9 cm )
engraved at center-front: Pintard family crest of three roses intertwined on fess above the initials, "J P" in script
Seamed silver nutmeg grater; urn-shaped body with hour-glass pedestal and rectangular base with hinge in the center; hinged, oval domed lid with knob finial and draw-molded bezel; when lid is in open position, body divides into vertical halves; at interior, semi-circular applied band holds curved metal grating plate in place; front of body engraved with the Pintard family crest, three roses intertwined on fess, above initials, "J P" in script; no maker's marks.
This nutmeg grater belonged to merchant, philanthropist, and Historical Society founder, John Pintard (1759-1844). Pintard was born into a Huguenot family active in the shipping trade. After the Revolution, Pintard specialized in trade with Madeira, the East Indies, and China. As an East India merchant who imported wines, spices, and other exotic foods, Pintard probably had ready access to supplies of nutmeg from Indonesia. Pintard's urn-shaped nutmeg grater has no hallmarks, but closely resembles early nineteenth-century Neoclassical examples made in England and in China for the export market.
John Pintard (1759-1844), who married Elizabeth Brasher (1765-1838); to their daughter Eliza Noel Pintard Davidson (1787-1833), who married Richard Davidson (1783-1839); to their daughter Louise Pintard Davidson (1814-1889), who married Richard Bedon Screven (1808-1851); to her daughter Julia Screven Cushman Meredith (1843-1914), who married (1st) Charles Willard Cushman (ca. 1840-1864); to their daughter Ellen Louise Screven Cushman (1861-1949). Purchased in 1948 from Ellen Louise Cushman.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.