New-York Historical Society commemorative medal
Bronze; cardboard, textile
box: 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. ( 9.5 x 9.5 cm ) diameter: 2 1/2 in. ( 6.4 cm )
marked: on obverse near lower edge: "A.W. JONES DEL F.B. SMITH & HARTMAN N.Y. FECIT" marked: on reverse beneath truncation of building: "F.B.S. & H. N.Y." printed: on inside cover of box: "Medallic Art Co. / New York"
Bronze struck medal commemorating the opening of the New-York Historical Society's new building at Second Avenue and 11th Street; obverse with bust portrait of founder John Pintard facing right, with legend "JOHN PINTARD"; reverse with image of N-YHS building and legend "NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY / FOUNDED 1804. / INCORPORATED 1809. ERECTED 1857." Black cardboard fitted box, not original.
Gift of Frederick W. L. Dressel, 1962
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.