The New-York Historical Society, 2nd Avenue and 11th Street, New York City
Watercolor, black ink and wash, and graphite on paper, laid on another sheet, laid on canvas
Overall: 22 1/2 x 31 11/16 in. ( 57.2 x 80.5 cm )
Inscribed at lower left outside image in black ink: "METTAM & BURKE / ARCHITECTS / 18 CITY HALL PLACE N.Y"
This is a rendering submitted by architects Charles Mettam and Edmund A. Burke of the Society's proposed first permanent home on the southeast corner of Second Avenue and East 11 Street. Described as an "Italian-Roman-Doric style of building," it was two stories high and built of sandstone. The building was erected in 1855-57 and served as the Society's home until 1908. At the right is the Second Avenue Baptist Church (Tabernacle Baptist Church) between 10th and 11th streets.
Gift of the New-York Historical Society Collection
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.