New York Chamber of Commerce Building Dedication Medal

Object Number: 
INV.4844
Date: 
1902
Medium: 
Bronze; wood, leather, silk, cardboard, paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 1/16 in. ( 7.7 cm ) Part (inner case): 4 3/8 x 4 3/8 x 7/8 in. (11.1 x 11.1 x 2.2 cm)
Marks: 
Inscription: edge, at lower center: "TIFFANY & CO" Inscription: note, written in black ink: "Presented by/George Wilson day/Cahmber of Commerce/Nov. 9. 1902" Inscription: inner case lid, inside, at center, imprinted in gold: "Tiffany & Co./NEW YORK/PARI
Description: 
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing Native American and allegorical female figure shaking hands before globe, caduceus above, ship and train behind, wih border of shields, cornucopias, oak and laurel branches; legend around border: "IN HONOR OF THE GUESTS WHO ATTENDED THE DEDICATORY CEREMONIES ON THE OPENING OF THE BUILDING OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE." Reverse shows elevation of the Chamber of Commerce building and its seal below flanked by inscription: "NEW YORK/NOV.II.1902"; surrounding legend: "TO COMMEMORATE THE OPENING OF THE BUILDING OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK." Black square fitted leather case with green silk satin and silk velvet lining; cream-colored square cardboard outer case.
Gallery Label: 
This medal commemorates the building dedication of the New York City Chamber of Commerce in 1902. Originally known as the "Association for the Development of of Business" when the commerce formed in 1768, it was the first non-governmental organization to deal with business disputes, support public works and promote the growth of city business.
Credit Line: 
Gift of George Wilson Day, 1902
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group