New York Athletic Club Medallion
diameter: 3 1/4 in. ( 8.2 cm )
Inscription: obverse, at lower right of field: "EUE" Inscription: edge, lower center: "WHITEHEAD-HOAG"
Bronze struck medallion with obverse showing image of new building of New York Athletic Club with legend above: "1868 NEW YORK ATHLETIC CLUB 1927"; inscription beneath, at center, on band decorated with laurel branches: "NYAC." Reverse depicts winged foot at center (NYAC logo), surrounded by inscriptions: "ORGANIZED AT/KNICKERBOCKER COTTAGE/SIXTH AVENUE AT TWENTY-EIGHT STREET/1885 - 1898/SIXTH AVENUE AT/FIFTY-FIFTH STREET/1898 - 1927/SIXTH AVENUE AT/FIFTY-NINTH STREET/THIS MEDALLION WAS/STRUCK TO COMMEMORATE THE LAYING OF/THE CORNER STONE OF THE NEW HOME/OF THE/NEW YORK ATHLETIC CLUB/NOV. 16TH 1927/SEVENTH AVENUE AT FIFTY-NINTH STREET"; legend around border: "YACHTING-BOXING-WRESTLING-SKATING-HAND BALL-TENNIS-SQUASH-BASE BALL-GOLF/TRACK AND FIELD-ROWING-SWIMMING-FENCING-TRAP SHOOTING-GYMNASTICS."
This medallion was struck to commemorate the laying of the cornerstone of the new home of the New York Athletic Club at 7th Avenue and 59th Street.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.