New York Aquarium, Battery Park, New York City
Watercolor, graphite, and black chalk on board
Overall: 14 x 21 7/8 in. ( 35.6 x 55.6 cm ) mat: 16 x 22 in. ( 40.6 x 55.9 cm )
This building, originally erected as a fort and later a place of resort and entertainment and finally an immigration depot, was turned over by the federal government to the New York City Parks Department in 1891. In 1896 the building was opened as the New York Aquarium, and for forty-five years thereafter almost two and one-half million people visited it each year. It was one of the most popular attractions in the city until it was closed in 1941.
Gift of George A. Zabriskie
The Century Company, Art Department
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.