largest: 4 x 1/2 x 1/4 in. ( 10.2 x 1.3 x 0.6 cm )
Iron nails and spikes excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York.
These nails and spikes were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on June 1, 1935 on the shore of Lake Champlain at Fort Crown Point in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed by a French commander in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt and named Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, garrisoned with American troops, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne's army.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024