Iron nail and spikes excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York.
These objects were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on October 15, 1941 on the shore of Lake Champlain at Fort Crown Point in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, garrisoned with American troops, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024