Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Musket flint excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut

Object Number: 
INV.6100.361
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Flint, lead
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 1 x 3.2 cm )
Description: 
Musket flint; brown flint wrapped with flat, U-shaped sheath.
Gallery Label: 
This musket flint was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built sometime after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group