Musket balls

Object Number: 
INV.6200.562-743
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
largest: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Description: 
Lead musket balls.
Gallery Label: 
These musket balls were excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group