This bullet was dug from the ground in the summer of 1847 at Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain in New York. It was obtained on the spot by a member of the New York Historical Society, and later presented to the society. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759. Rebuilt by the British as Ticonderoga, the fort was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024