Musical instrument

Object Number: 
2002.1.3221
Date: 
1915-1930
Medium: 
Metal, paper, wood, cloth
Dimensions: 
5 7/8 x 2 x 1 1/2 in.
Description: 
A black cloth covered wood box lined with red padded fabric containing one Hohner chromatic harmonica. The top of the box reads in white " 'Chromonica' (Chromatic Harmonica)/ The First and Only Harmonica/ Providing Sharps and Flats/ M. Hohner/ Made in Germany". The harmonica is engraved "The "Chromonica" (Chromatic Harmonica) Made By M. Hohner Germany" and on the reverse with the trade mark and several reproductions of award medals. The harmonica has ten holes and a lever on the side for producing sharp and flat notes. The chromatic harmonica was introduced in 1910 as the alternative to diatonic harmonicas. The chromatic harmonica allowed for a full chromatic scale through the use of a spring mechanism. The spring was attached to a slide which covered the diatonic set of reeds and exposed the chromatic reeds when pressed with the index finger. The external spring design shown on this harmonica was changed in 1930 to an internal spring. A label on th bottom of the box refers to an award received in 1915 at the San Francisco Exposition narrowing the production date of this item.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group