Mount Pleasant (Beekman Mansion), New York City
Watercolor, gouache, and graphite on paper
Mat: 2 1/2 x 30 x 40 in. (6.4 x 76.2 x 101.6 cm)
signature: lower right: "A. Hosier"
Signed and inscribed at lower right inside image in brown watercolor: "A. Hosier. D..."; mount inscribed flanking roundel in black ink: "MOUNT PLEASANT / Country Seat of James Beekman / Built 1763-4 on a high rock bluff or cliff on the East River about four and one quarter / miles from the then City of New York. Demolished by his grandson James W. Beekman. 1874, the then site / being 51st street and 1st Avenue -- Mount Pleasant during the English occupation of the City was British Head / Quarter
This house was erected between 1763 and 1764 by James Beekman (1732-1807) as a country residence on the East River shore of Manhattan Island near Turtle bay (now the northwest corner of First Avenue and 51st Street). From 1776 to 1777, the mansion was occupied by the British commander in chief, Sir William Howe. This undated watercolor was executed by Hosier for James William Beekman, and presumably dates from approximately 1874, the year the house was demolished.
Ledes, Allison E., ed. "The Magazine Antiques: January 2005." New York: Brant Publications, Inc., 2005.
Gift of the Beekman Family Association
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.